A Whole Bunch of Big News

A little over a year ago, my longtime agent and I parted ways. To say the months since have been a thrill ride would be an understatement. Thing is, I've been unable to talk about any of it... until today.

I'm now represented by David Gernert of The Gernert Company. Formerly Doubleday's Editor-in-Chief, David represents some of the most talented authors in the business, including John Grisham, Peter Straub, and Stewart O'Nan. In addition to being a joy to work with, his keen editorial eye has pushed me to up my game, and my writing is better for it.

Which (with an assist from Publishers Marketplace, who broke this news yesterday) brings me to part two of this announcement-slash-confessional: Mulholland Books just bought world rights to my thriller, THE KILLING KIND, in a pre-empt two-book deal.

All authors claim they're huge fans of their publisher's books, and some of 'em are blowing smoke, but I will swear upon a stack of Raymond Chandler novels that I literally couldn't imagine a better home for THE KILLING KIND than Mulholland.

They published A DROP OF THE HARD STUFF, the latest of Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder novels, which I count among my favorite series of all time. They publish Charlie Huston and Duane Swierczynski, both of whom push pulp in exciting new directions, and Marcia Clark, whose terrific Rachel Knight series is headed to a TV near you. They made headlines with J.K. Rowling's Robert Galbraith novel, THE CUCKOO'S CALLING, and the astonishing S. by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams. And then there's Woodrell's Bayou Trilogy. Anthony Horowitz's Holmes novel THE HOUSE OF SILK. James Lee Burke. David Morrell.

Believe me, I could go on.

Point is, I'm a fan. Have been for years. Which is why it's incredibly gratifying to be counted among their authors. Even more gratifying is the fact that my editor, Josh Kendall, is crazy passionate about THE KILLING KIND.

I can't wait to roll up my sleeves and get to work.