Friday, May 04, 2012

A Short Update (because, you know, it involves short stories... oh, forget it; titles aren't my milieu today)

I know, I know, it seems this blog's no more than a news feed of late, but Day Job and Night Job leave room for little else.

So, excuses made, howsabout we just leap into the brief news-o'-me?

First off, I'm pleased to announce my short story "Pretty Little Things" will appear in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. When? I've no idea. That'll be fodder for yet another newsy update. But they sent me a contract and everything, so if it's a prank, it's a darn good one.

I couldn't be happier to be returning to the pages of Ellery Queen. It's a bit of a homecoming for me, since they gave me my first ever professional credit, way back in the Dark Ages of '07. Plus, any excuse to interact with EQMM's editor, Janet Hutchings, is a welcome one, indeed. Meeting her this B'con past was a highlight among highlights. And I'm quite fond of this story (which I wrote about a while back here); I think it may contain the best twist I've ever written.

In other news, Rob at The View From the Blue House has posted a four-star review for DEAD HARVEST, in which he says:

"Holm writes in an assured style with engaging prose... an enjoyable read that excels on premise and contextual construction."

Thanks, Rob!

Now back to the word-mines...