Sunday, June 15, 2008

For anybody keeping score...

This week, I received word from Richard Helms, editor of The Back Alley webzine, that my story The Big Score will be appearing in their July issue. The Big Score was originally written for an anthology of Maine crime fiction that sadly never came to pass, and I'm delighted that it's found a good home. It's without a doubt the most classically pulpy of all my shorts, complete with McGuffins, double-crosses, triple-crosses, guns, drugs, and, um, herring. It is gratifying, then, that it would wind up being published by an editor with a deep appreciation for all things noir and hard-boiled. In fact, each issue of The Back Alley features a classic noir story from the public domain, a very cool idea if you ask me.

So yeah. When my story goes up, I'll be sure to let you know. In the meantime, go check out their current issue. And if that's not enough to tide you over, some dude named Bagley has a killer story in the summer issue of Spinetingler. What's that? You want more? Fine. Go check out Lyman's post on mental health awareness for writers. Seriously, it's interesting stuff, and you'll be glad you did.