Sunday, September 11, 2005

Going Live

So. Um. Hello.

Hmm. It seems to me that I ought to have something to say at this point. One would have thought that, having taken the time and the effort to put together a website, I might be a little more prepared in the posting-on-it front, but alas, I am not. But there you are, reading this, so here goes. Shouldn't you be working, by the way? What if your boss were to catch you reading this? You'd best check and see that no one's coming. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Anyways, welcome to my on-line journal. (I would have said "blog," but every time I type it, I have this nagging feeling that it is lacking an apostrophe, and so I thought I'd avoid the matter altogether.) My name is Chris, as you can plainly see peppered around the page, and I am a writer, in the sense that I get up in the morning and I write. I write mysteries, often (but not always) containing supernatural elements. If I were to have my pick of classifications, I suppose I'd label my writing speculative noir, though that would make for a pretty small section at your local bookstore, and could very well place me alphabetically on a shelf beside Gaiman and Gibson -- good company to keep, but I'd perhaps not fare so well in the company of giants. So I'll simply say that I write what I hope will be considered mainstream thrillers and leave it at that.

A couple of years ago, I began writing a novel. A lot of early mornings and a few hundred pages later, it's nearly done. What, you might ask, does it take to be a working writer? Stick around -- maybe we'll both find out.