Sunday, May 26, 2013

"Pretty Little Things" Now Available!

The July 2013 issue of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, featuring my short story "Pretty Little Things," is on shelves now!

Most of my short stories are long-gestating affairs of nebulous origin; they kick around inside my head until I get sick of 'em rattling around, and put them down on paper to get them out. Not so "Pretty Little Things." The tale was inspired by an odd phone call, and my ensuing attempt to figure out from whence it came. Turnaround from precipitating event to finished story was 48 hours. And I daresay it's one of the best shorts I've ever written. I'm delighted Janet Hutchings thought it worthy of EQMM's pages, and pleased to see it running alongside the likes of Twist Phelan and Bill Pronzini. I hope you folks dig it, too.