Friday, June 18, 2010

Congratulations Stephen Blackmoore!

I have a confession to make. I'm not a huge fan of short stories.

Whoa whoa whoa -- don't get all mad at me. I know I write 'em. And believe me, I read 'em, too. Lots of 'em. But the truth is, I'm not a huge fan of the form itself. I'm a fan of novels first and foremost, because I like a story with complexity, with room to breathe. Novels take the reader on a journey, a feat short stories rarely manage. Which means a short story's gotta really have something to draw me in. A killer hook. A flat-out awesome character. A line or two that knock me back.

That's why I'm so damn psyched to hear Stephen Blackmoore just signed a two-book deal with DAW. See, forever ago, I read this story of Stephen's on The Thrilling Detective called Sumo, and it was awesome. Funny as all get-out, with a twisted, brilliant premise and prose that sparkled without calling attention to itself. So I sought out more of Stephen's stuff, and guess what? Sumo was no fluke.

But like I said, I'll take novels over shorts any day. And I've been dying to read Stephen's City of the Lost a while now. Thanks to DAW, I'll get my chance. And then I'll get to read his next one.

Awesome, says I. And if I had to guess, I'd say Stephen's probably kinda jazzed right now, too.