Saturday, April 24, 2010

Like those little spoons at Baskin-Robbins, but for murder.

I've been thinking lately. Thinking about why I started writing in the first place. Thinking that as much as I enjoy reading and writing short stories -- and I do -- my first and greatest literary love will always be novels.

I love reading them. I love writing them. And I feel my novels are a better reflection of where I'm at, and what stories I really want to tell, than my short stories. That's not a knock on my own shorts, or shorts in general; it's just the nature of the beast.

To that end, I've decided that over the next week or so, I'll be posting excerpts from my two completed novels, Dead Harvest and The Angels' Share. Uber-agent Jennifer assures me a short snippet isn't going to screw up anything submission-wise, and the truth is, I'm kind of dying for these stories to get out into the world.

So yeah. The excerpt from Dead Harvest will go up today, preceded by a short description so's you don't go in blind. The excerpt from The Angels' Share will be up sometime mid-week. Kindly ignore any formatting hiccups; the old cut-and-paste from Word to Blogger is far from perfect.

Anyways, enjoy. (Fingers crossed folks actually enjoy them.) (If I hide my raging insecurity in parentheses, no one else can see it, right?) (Oh, you can? Never mind, then. Move along. Nothing to see here.)