Friday, March 26, 2010

Empty

As in promises. Specifically, the one where I said I'd be popping in here weekly to dust for cobwebs. If you scroll down a touch you'll see I missed my mark last week. But I've got a pretty decent excuse.

See, lately, my tank's been empty. I found out a few weeks back that my company was restructuring (I know, I know; no day-job stuff on a writing blog, but bear with me), which is a polite euphemism for me and everyone I work alongside losing their jobs. It was an amicable parting, and by the time the higher-ups made the call, there was nothing left that could've been done, but regardless, the process of packing up and shutting down is one that takes a lot out of you, both physically and mentally. So last week -- my last work week -- I'd get home exhausted from packing and hauling and whatnot, and bloggage wasn't exactly high on my priority list.

This week, my first week off, it seemed my well was empty, too. There's only so many hours in a day one can job-hunt, and I assumed with all this free time, writing would be a breeze, but when I tried, the words just wouldn't come. So I cleaned. I cooked. I took a couple long walks. (There was a trip to the veterinary ER, too, but that's a story for another time, and since my cat is sleeping happily on my lap as I type this, it seems that story ends okay.) And I'm pretty sure this fallow period is passing.

'Cause right now, my days are kind of empty, too. And no amount of poking 'round the internet seems to fill 'em up. Plus, that old familiar itch is returning. (Hey, no jokes; this is a family blog.) The itch to get some words down. To fill some empty pages.

I think it's high time I get back to work.