Saturday, September 12, 2009

Depp, Powers, and Pirates?

A few years back, upon the release of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, I wrote a post lauding one of the best and most unsung pirate stories of all time, Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides.

Yesterday, Disney announced that the title of the new Pirates flick is Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, fueling speculation that Powers' book will be the basis for the story.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of this. Verbinski et al. have proven they've got the chops to make a kick-ass pirate movie (some would argue only one, but still), and On Stranger Tides may be the most cinematic of Powers' works. On a personal note, though, I freakin' love this book, so it'll hurt if they go and screw it up. (An aside: despite what I think was a valiant effort on the part of Zack Snyder, I didn't last ten minutes into Watchmen. For me, a great read isn't necessarily begging to be movie-ized; a great read stands on its own, and sometimes, frankly, shouldn't be mucked with.)

Of course, all of this is still in the fanboy rumor stage. But if it proves to be true, one of my favorite authors should be cashing a fat check, signed by the mouse himself -- and even if the movie sucks, it'll likely boost his book sales. Those seem to me to be good things. And fingers crossed the movie doesn't suck, in which case everybody wins.

(Aside #2: On Stranger Tides was also an inspiration -- along with the original Pirates of the Caribbean ride -- for the fantastic Monkey Island series of video games. So who knows? Maybe P4:OST will rock. Though I'd recommend against abbreviating it in the promo materials; it just plain looks weird.)