Saturday, May 02, 2009

Giving Back

Friend and writer Lyman Feero has put together an organization called the Society for the Advancement of Young Writers, an organization that aims to foster an interest in creative writing among elementary-age children, and he's looking for writers who are interested in helping. You can read about it here.

Lyman's plan is ambitious, but his goals are both attainable and (in my humble opinion) very, very cool. If you've been with me since the beginning, you've probably already read my post on the first story I ever wrote. If not, go check it out -- I'll wait.

So why (beyond self-aggrandizement and rampant narcissism) did I ask you to go do that? Because if you're a writer, my guess is you've had a similar experience sometime in your life. Think about how it stuck with you, and how much it shaped the person you've become.

Now think about what it would be like to do that for someone else.

So please, go check out Lyman's post, and see if this is something you'd be interested in. You'll be glad you did.