Okay, here's the deal. About four centuries ago in blog years, Sandra Ruttan tagged yours truly on a 16 random things meme. Now, I'm not often one for memes, but it seems to me the window for politeness has long since passed on the whole declining thing; I'm already a boorish idiot for flaking for so long (chalk it up to my brilliant organizational system of thousands upon thousands of illegible Post-it notes. Or, you know, stupidity.) Besides, Sandra's good people, so if she wants 16 random facts, then 16 random facts she'll get. So without further ado, here goes:
1. Sandra's #s 7 and 10 also apply to me. Oh, and technically her #1, too, but since it wasn't a near thing, I almost didn't mention it.
2. When I started this blog, I had no internet friends whatsoever. A lot of blogs at the time were doing a random things meme, and I wanted to join in all the reindeer games, hence the exceedingly random (and slightly embarrassing) profile blurb to the left of this post.
3. I was once tagged to come up with six random things about myself as punishment for outing a baby-eating baby-eater. I do not plan on counting those six random things toward my fulfillment of this meme.
4. I am deathly afraid of most bugs. The exceptions to this rule are a) stinging insects, because my hatred overwhelms my fear, and b) spiders, because I respect the fact that they eat other bugs.
5. When I was a kid, I wanted glasses. My whole family's got 'em, and I thought they'd make me look smarter.
6. The fact that I wanted glasses as a kid because I thought they'd make me look smarter makes no damn sense, because in grade school, I was horrified at the prospect of being thought of as a nerd for carrying a book with me wherever I went. Since those books were most often by Stephen King, I compensated for my perceived nerdiness by putting to use some of his more colorful language whenever I could. I'm pretty sure that's why I swear too much to this day.
7. Though I don't believe in ghosts or goblins or other creatures that go bump in the night, I fear them nonetheless.
8. Every Sunday, my wife and I clean our house from top to bottom. Right now, I'm doing this instead. I feel pretty guilty about that fact.
9. Despite not having a dishwasher until adulthood, I am something of a prodigy at getting things to fit. I think it may be my superpower.
10. I'm really lousy at staying in touch with my friends, despite the fact that they mean more to me than I can say.
11. I'm beginning to regret not counting the six random things mentioned in #3, because I'm rapidly running out of things to say.
12. I secretly think that Men at Work is a better movie than Children of Men. (Actually, I secretly think Men at Work is a better movie than most movies ever made. I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not.)
13. My obsession with random music facts borders on the pathological.
14. I hate hate hate seeing pictures of myself (or hearing a recording of my own voice.) It's something that I'm working on.
15. I will do just about anything to avoid putting away the groceries, even if the something in question is a messier/crappier/more arduous job. I have no idea why that is.
16. I seriously considered using the word 'arduoser' in the previous random fact, but in the end, my love of language won out over concerns of cadence.
So yeah, there you have it, Sandra, and with my apologies. Now, I'd tag someone, but this meme's probably burned its way through the blogosphere twice since I was tagged, so there's really not much point. But hey, you feel like playing along, I ain't gonna stop ya.