Friday, December 26, 2008

The Year in Review

I confess, I haven't been a fan of 2008. It's been a year of tremendous stress, of illness and of loss, and I won't be sad to see the end of it. But now is not a time to dwell on the negative, so instead I'd like to take a moment to recognize some of the wonderful things that 2008 brought with it for many of my friends, both from the writing world and beyond. Of course, I've no doubt there's something I'll forget, and to whoever might feel they should've made the list, I sincerely apologize. But with that caveat in mind, here goes.

Congratulations to Stuart, for his tremendous success with The Ghosts of Belfast (or, for those of you in the UK, The Twelve.) Likewise, congrats go out to Sophie, whose Banished and A Bad Day For Sorry are both on their way to publication. All are eagerly awaited in the _holm household.

Mad props go out to Sandra, whose novels What Burns Within and The Frailty of Flesh both came out this year (and garnered the kind of praise most writers would eagerly saw off a limb for.) Also much love for The Bag Man, who found some kick-ass representation for his novel and also got himself into a fancy-pants anthology. I've no doubt Bitter Water Blues is gonna light the crime world on fire (and likely cackle with glee while doing it).

Jennifer, in a time of flagging book sales, managed both to keep on finding good homes for her clients' books and garner some serious accolades while doing it. Writers need people like her now more than ever, and this particular writer doesn't plan to let that go unnoticed.

On the non-writing side of things, congrats to Sarah and Owyn for the very adorable Gibson. Ditto Jason and Jolene for Lucy May, and Susan and Scott for Keiralyn. Seriously, what year wouldn't benefit for a little more adorable?

Getting hitched this year were Mimi and Jason (what a blast we had!), Jackie and Servio, Tom and Jenny, and Sara and Carlton. Best wishes to you all.

And last but not least, the election. Yeah, I know a sizable portion of the country was leaning the other way, but taking politics out of the equation, what happened on election day was nothing short of extraordinary. Putting politics back in, there are a lot of us who, for the first time in years, now have occasion to hope.

So there you have it. The year in good. May 2009 be even fuller, and may it leave the bad behind. To all who are reading this (and heck, everyone who isn't), I wish you a very heartfelt happy New Year!

MUCH BELATED UPDATE: I said I'd forget somebody, and I'll be damned if I didn't! Mad belated props to Jack Getze for releasing Big Money, the followup to his hilarious Big Numbers. If you're reading this, you'd do well to pick up a copy or twelve. Count this writer a fan.