Sunday, July 20, 2008

Now what?

I'm not one to go trolling for comments by posting open-ended questions on my blog, but what the hell am I supposed to do with myself now that my book is out the door? I mean, obviously I've got a couple shorts kicking around in my head, and some thoughts on two potential Next Books, but for the moment, I'm still too close to Dead Harvest, too invested in it, to give anything else the attention it deserves.

Last time, the answer to this question was a whole lot easier: get querying. Say what you will about the soul-crushing crap-fest that is finding an agent, it does provide no shortage of busywork. Now, though, who knows? Maybe I'll overhaul my website. Or post here on a slightly-more-regular basis. Or maybe I'll just watch Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog a couple dozen more times. That's productive, right?

Incidentally, as I read back the first sentence of this post, it strikes me that people only ever tell you what kind of person they're not when they intend to immediately undercut that assessment. I mean, nobody ever says, "Now I ain't racist," without following it up with something that makes you think they should get their asses out of the gene pool...