Sunday, December 30, 2007

Looks like the sap is running early this year...

I'm not one for looking back, as a rule, but 2007 has been an extraordinary year, one that demands some measure of reflection. In no particular order, here are some milestones I've been lucky enough to reach this year. Keep your head down, 'cause here come the bullets:
Of course, there have been other milestones as well. I turned thirty. I bought a house. I managed to hoodwink my lovely, charming wife into staying with me for yet another year (believe me, that never ceases to surprise). But a year is more than simply a collection of milestones, and with that in mind, I'd like to thank the folks I've met in the course of my writerly travails. I'm not dumb enough to try to list them all; I'd doubtless forget someone, and kick myself for weeks. If you take a look at my links and my blog comments, though, you'll get a pretty good idea.

I've always felt a bit of an outsider (in school, in work, in life), but this year I've encountered dozens of folks whose generosity of spirit is matched only by their talent. It's a strange thing, to find one's tribe, but a good strange. I wish them all the best in the coming year, and extend my thanks as well. I'm constantly amazed how supportive this community can be, and you can be damn sure I'm not about to take that for granted.

So happy new year, and goodbye to a hell of a last one. God only knows what's in store, but one thing's for sure: we're in for a hell of a ride.

(And yes, Sandra, I absolutely count my impending Spinetingler debut as a milestone; it'll be first on next year's list...)