Sunday, July 08, 2007

It's no zombie kickball, but still...

I couldn't help but notice my fair burg was mentioned in a recent Times article about the release of the new Harry Potter. It seems we're the host of Mugglefest Portland 2007, an absolutely insane Harry Potter extravaganza designed to celebrate the final book's release and benefiting the local non-profit Youth and Family Outreach.

Now, I know some writer-types roll their eyes every time some uber-bestseller rolls around and sweeps the public off their collective feet, but as far as I'm concerned, this is awesome. These people are going freaking nuts over a book. Okay, a series of books, really, but a series of books that a) are pretty freakin' entertaining, and b) are creating a veritable army of voracious children readers, many of whom will grow up to be voracious adult readers, and that doesn't suck. Plus, as you can see in my bio to the left, I'm a bit of a Star Wars fan; what kind of geek would I be if I didn't support a group of folks so willing to let their freak-flags fly?