Thursday, May 03, 2007

On Irons and Fire

Spring's a funny thing. The days are getting longer, but somehow, it seems I have less and less free time – hence the sudden dearth of posts. That's not to say that nothing's going on – just that I haven't had time to pop in here and write about it. So without further ado, here's the rundown, bullet-style (hey, it is a crime-fic blog, after all):
  • The June 2007 issue of EQMM is now really, actually in stores. For serious this time. So go buy it, and if you like my story, tell a friend. If you don't, well, then it's quiet time for you.
  • I recently completed a new short story called The Big Score. Usually, when I finish a story, I'll write a post about where it came from, but the origins of this one are a tad mundane. (I'd like to think that the story is anything but.) I wrote it at the request of a friend who's editing an anthology. With these sorts of things, there are always a ton of variables at play (not the least of which being that there's always the chance it's just not his cup of tea), so for now, that's all I got. More details as they come.
  • For those keeping track, that's four short stories making the rounds. I had a bit of non-rejectiony bad luck of late (markets closing, editors sitting on subs for the better part of a year – that sort of thing), but I'd like to think the worst is behind me. All the markets currently considering my stories are very cool, and I'd be psyched to be in any of them. Once again, stay tuned.
  • The Angels' Share is still making the rounds as well, but I've had some tremendous feedback, and I'm delighted at the attention it's garnered thus far. Agents, it turns out, are far nicer than they're given credit for. Things are still very much up in the air, but I'm pretty optimistic. If you're reading this, cross your fingers for me.
  • Last, but certainly not least, the WIP. WIPs, really. (Ws IP? Tricky plural, that. Like WMDs, which makes no sense, or Attorneys General, at least one of which makes no sense.) Anyway, I've got two novels in the works. Yes, they have names, and no, I'm not saying what they are. I will say this: one's a stand-alone thriller with a lot of potential. It's got a tricky plot structure, and it's a bit of a slow burn, but I think I like where it's going. The other is the first in a series. It's chock full of action-y goodness, and it's about as subtle as a freight train. Right now, I think the latter's winning. Subtle's never been my strong suit.
So there you have it. My life in bullets. Well, the writing bit of it, at least. So stick around. Things are getting interesting.