Saturday, November 25, 2006

Tabula Rasa

It occurred to me as I sat turkey-drugged and lethargic in front of my computer that I hadn't posted here in a while, so figured it was time for a quick update. Now that all the short-story-related craziness has died down, there isn't much to report on the publishing front. Which isn't to say nothing's going on. I've spent a lot of time getting queries out, and I'm happy to say there's been some interest, though discretion being the better part of valor, that's all I'll say about that. What I will talk about, at least briefly, is the Next Book.

Right now, the Next Book consists of about a dozen pages of barely legible notes in a legal pad, countless Post-its filled with ideas good and bad, and the first five pages of what is proving to be a rather detailed outline. And then there's all the research: e-mails back and forth with folks more knowledgeable than I, a laundry-list of URLs, and maps galore.

The Next Book has a title, too, but names have power, and I'm not ready to let this one out into the world just yet. Soon, maybe.

In not too long, the writing will begin in earnest. Fine by me. It's been just two months since I finished The Angels' Share, and for my money, that's two months too long.