Tuesday, May 16, 2006

So here's the deal...

...and the deal is this:

I've been going back and forth on that last post for two days now, wondering whether or not I should take it down. It's not that I don't agree with the central thesis. I do, mostly. I'm just not sure the tone is entirely right for this blog.

The point of this blog as I see it (apart from being a shameless ploy to establish a fledgling author's web-presence) is to provide insight into the process of becoming a working author. That's insight I don't yet have. But Sunday's post came perilously (and unintentionally) close to instructive, which presupposes I know what the hell I'm talking about. Maybe I do, and maybe I don't, but I can't think of a single reason why you should assume I do.

I've decided not to take down the post, though I offer this caveat. When it comes to sites dedicated to the business and the craft of writing, read critically. It amazes me how many people want to tell you how to write the perfect mystery, the perfect romance, the perfect whatever, and how few of them I've ever actually heard of. I had an Economics teacher in high school who often professed a profound understanding of the stock market. I always wondered if that were so, why he drove a beat-up Chevette.

Don't assume either that someone who is published and well-recieved has any earthly idea how they managed it. There's more than one path to take, and though there is plenty of valuable advice out there, nobody's going to draw you a map. Beware the ones who claim they can.