Thursday, March 16, 2006

What ho, old fruit?

Another post, another very little to report. I spent the last several days in New Orleans, at the wedding of an old friend, which means at present I'm feeling guilty and annoyed at my lack of progress editing my novel. Still, the trip was fun (if a bit surreal), and with luck, I'll return to my only-slightly-less-painfully-slow routine in no time.

Some odds and ends. First, I picked up a book for the trip, an impulse purchase based on stellar reviews and the odd award or two. The name I'll omit, discretion being the better part of valor. Suffice to say it was a genre book (a sf/mystery double whammy, no less!) All positive press aside, I thought is was abysmal. The story was murky at best, and it was so chock-full of ," he glowered darkly-s and I watched as she...-s that I found myself reaching for the red pen that often sits perched behind my ear while I edit. Of course, it wasn't there, and I'm sure my fellow passengers thought me insane. The book served to once again to remind me that the mainstream press has absolutely no idea what it's talking about when it comes to good genre writing. I had to pick up The Long Goodbye when I got home just to cleanse my palette.

In other news, the lovely and talented Jane Espenson has started a blog. If you've any interest in writing for television, writing comedy, or in finding out what one of the funniest people on the planet eats for lunch on any given day, go check it out. She's charming and informative and a world-class language geek (in the best possible way, of course.) She's worked on just about every fantastic show ever. She invented "the funny syphilis." Need more convincing? Here's a snippet (italics mine):

Spec scripts are non-spraying beetles, but that's all the more reason they need to stand on their heads, look in anticipation at their own rear ends, and give every impression that something big is about to happen.

Followed the link yet? Yeah, I thought so.

That's it for me. Oh, wait – the title. Right. You see, my wife and I have been watching lots of Jeeves and Wooster lately, and I need to find some outlet for my sudden comprehensive knowledge of period British slang.

Toodle pip!