Monday, September 26, 2005

Call and Response

Another post, another productive nothing to report, at least on the novel front. On the blogging front, however, something rather cool and unexpected happened today.

Dorothy Thompson, editor of The Writer's Life Magazine and all-around lovely person, had some very nice things to say on her blog about my recent post regarding my first-ever literary award, which can be read here. It seems that she had a similar experience, and reading my post got her to wonder whether all writers might not have a similar story to tell. Her ponderings were both sweet and insightful, and made me look at my initial post in an entirely new light.

I think that perhaps my favorite part of all of this (apart from being referred to as "utterly charming") is that she and I could not be from more disparate genres, and yet we share a common experience, a common history. What I thought of as a fond remembrance of a fairly peculiar event might in fact be something shared in one form or another by just about anyone who ever picked up a pen or clacked away at a keyboard.

Go check out her blog, and The Writer's Life as well. Both are entertaining, and both are informative. More importantly, though, is the fact that both of them are run by someone who could have easily just passed on through, but who instead stopped to have a conversation along the way. Kind of the point of this whole thing, I think.

And for the record, it was the post she referred to as "utterly charming," not me personally, but I'll take what I can get.